- LOA will be sent with itinerary info and will be cross org'd to active duty only
- DTS Lodging Flag: select L7, Conference or Event
- Select Capstone or CapstoneFellow routing list on digital signature page
- All lodging $0
- All locations on provided itinerary must be on order
- Flights to and from DC only, Capstone to coordinate within course travel
- Once LOA is available, spouses can use it, see spouse page
Further Details Below
All Coast Guard/Reserve/NGB and all Civilian Fellows must arrive with orders. Reserve/Guard (even those on active duty) and Civilian vouchers must be settled by your respective organizations. See our Coast Guard / Reserve / National Guard and Civilian Fellows page for more information.
All active duty orders and vouchers are required to be completed using the Defense Travel System (DTS). You will be provided an itinerary no later than 2-3 weeks before the start of your respective course. All stops on your itinerary must be reflected in your DTS order. Return flights should not be scheduled before 1600 on the last day of class. Capstone will fund Friday night’s lodging if a Sat departure is required. Book roundtrip tickets so the government gets the best possible price.
Local (DC Metro area) Fellows:
Please do two orders for the days you will actually be away from home.
First Order: CONUS only (Suffolk, VA through Omaha, NE). Please ensure all lodging is changed to $0, we pay this for the group.
Second Order: OCONUS (weeks 3 and 4). Please ensure all lodging is changed to $0, we pay this for the group.
If doing one order, you MUST manually change perdiem while home. If this is not done within the authorization, it will be returned for correction. TWO orders is easier and preferred. Please also review the Joint Travel Regs, first and last days of travel are 75% of max perdiem - DTS does this for you with two orders.
Out of town Fellows:
You will have one order for the full course. You rate perdiem for the entire 5 weeks. Please make all lodging $0, we pay this for the group.
Coast Guard / Reserve / Guard / Civilians:
Capstone is not budgeted to pay your TDY costs. Please provide a set of orders once completed (but no later than the first day of class.) Lodging should be $0.
Lodging should be $0 on all orders, Capstone will pay this separately. Within course travel (CONUS and OCONUS trip) will be coordinated by Capstone (milair, use 0800 for a daily departure). Transportation to and from Fort McNair/Andrews AFB is not provided. Rental car is a unit funded expense.
- Capstone coordinates all within course travel via milair. If you live outside Washington, DC, the ONLY ticket you must coordinate it to Washington before the course starts, and home from Washington when the course ends. We coordinate all other travel (so you don't need an airline ticket to Suffolk, VA; Key West, FL; Miami, FL, etc.).
- JTR requires most advantageous to the government (read cheapest options) from within a 400 mile radius (Norfolk or Camp Lejeune/Fort Bragg area).
**ACTIVE DUTY ONLY BELOW
(Reserve, NGB, USCG and Civilian see above)**
Orders and Vouchers
- Capstone will provide Cross Organization (CrossOrg) funding 2-3 weeks before your course start date
- How does Cross Org work? Click here for Cross Org Funding info
- Out of Town Fellows must provide a unit LOA for below unit funded expenses.
- Fund Cites are not provided.
- JTR only allows airport terminal parking if less than taxi fare x 2...estimates required on orders, documentation required on the voucher.
Expenses Covered by NDU
- all lodging (all should be $0 in DTS, we pay with a CBA)
- all per diem for course dates
- airline tickets to and from Washington DC (All travel within the course is coordinated by NDU)
- taxi fees to and from airports only
Expenses Covered by Fellow’s Unit/Service
- all rental cars and any applicable rental car expenses
- Cambria valet parking (free parking is 2 blocks away at Fort McNair)
- excess baggage
- phone calls
- internet usage fees
- hostile fire / combat tax exclusion pay if applicable